Sunday, March 2, 2008

Carbonara Deep-Dish Pasta Crusted Pan Pizza

CARBONARA DEEP-DISH PASTA-CRUSTED PAN PIZZA (30 min-meal)
by: rachael ray (Just In Time) pg.64

Ingredients:
*Salt *2(9oz) packages fresh linguine *3 T extra-virgin olive oil *1/4 pound pancetta(cut as thick as bacon, chopped) *3-4 Garlic cloves(grated or chopped) *1/2-1t red pepper flakes(depending on how spicy you like it) *1/2 C grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese *4 large eggs *1/2 C cream *Black pepper *2 C ricotta cheese *1T fresh flat-leaf parsley(finely chopped) *1 C shredded provolone cheese

Instructions:
1.Preheat oven to 425.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When it boils, salt it generously, add the pasta and cook for 3 min.
3.While the pasta water heats, heat the EVOO in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and brown, 3-4 min. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook for a minute more, stirring once or twice.
4. Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet, tossing to coat the pasta with the garlic oil. Add the parmigiano and toss again. Beat the eggs with the cream and salt and pepper and pour over the pasta. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the eggs for 1 min or until they begin to set, then pat the pasta into an even layer to make the "pizza pie" crust. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 5 min.
5. Mix together the ricotta and parsley. Remove the pasta pie from the oven and smooth the ricotta over the top. Sprinkle with the provolone and return to the oven. Bake for 10 min more, or until the cheese is melted and golden at the edges. Let the pie sit a couple minutes to settle the ricotta, then cut into wedges and serve directly from the skillet.

My Changes: I am not a big fan of spicy foods so I left out the red pepper flakes. I used bacon instead of pancetta(because I couldn't find any at the store). I added mozzarella cheese to the provolone for more cheese flavor!

My Review:
This was a great meal! Anyone who loves pasta and carbonara will love this deep-dish pizza. I am not a big fan of bacon and eggs but I did love this, and it was great as left-overs too! It did take me about 1 hour to make (rather than the 30 min that she claims...but that could just be because I'm not a professional cook like her!) Isaac even liked this meal...amazing!

No comments: