Sunday, March 2, 2008

Shout out...to Jessica Seinfeld!!! (Breakfast Foods)



These Recipes are amazing!! Buy the Book...it's fabulous! I have made the following recipes so far from the book and I have a goal to make every single one of her recipes!

Breakfast Foods:

FRENCH TOAST pg.#49

Ingredients:
*4 large eggs *2 T banana puree *1/4 t cinnamon *4 slices whole-wheat bread *nonstick cooking spray *2 t butter *Maple syrup

1.In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, puree, and cinnamon. Add the bread slices and turn them in the mixture to soak for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
2.Coat a nonstick griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the margarine. When the margarine sizzles, add the soaked bread slices and cook until golden brown on the outside, 2-3 minutes per side. Serve warm with syrup, confectioners' sugar, or fruit.

My Review:
My husband and son really liked these. I am not a big banana fan, however she suggests using pineapple, sweet potato, carrot, butternut squash or canned pumpkin in place of the banana. Next time I make these I will switch it up!

PANCAKES pg.#57

Ingredients:
*1 C water, *1/2 C sweet potato puree *1/4 t cinnamon *1 C pancake mix *nonstick cooking spray *1 T canola oil *Maple syrup

1.In a large bowl, mix the water, sweet potato puree, and cinnamon. Add the pancake mix and stir just to combine--the batter should be lumpy.
2.Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil and spoon the batter onto the griddle or pan using 1/4 c batter for each pancake.
3.Cook until bubbles from on top of the pancakes and the batter is set, 2-3 minutes. Then use a spatula to flip the pancakes and cook them until golden brown on the other side, 2-3 minutes.

My review:
I absolutly love these pancakes...you can't even tell there is sweet potato in them and I am not a pancake person! Both my husband and son loved these too. These have become a regular in our home now! Try them.

OATMEAL pg.#68

Ingredients:
*1 C nonfat milk *1/4 C firmly packed brown sugar *1/4 C canned pumpkin puree *1 t pure vanilla extract *1/4 t cinnamon *1 C old-fashioned oats *2 t natural peanut butter (optional) * dried fruit and nuts(optional) *maple syrup

1.In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, and cinnamon. Bring to a gentle boil and stir in the oatmeal. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the oatmeal is soft and creamy. Stir in the peanut butter, if using.
2.Spoon the oatmeal into bowls, sprinkle with dried fruit and nuts, and serve warm with maple syrup.

My review:
I added peanut butter to mine and I wouldn't recommend it, all I could taste was the peanut butter so next time I make it I will leave that out and see if I like it better! I also don't eat my oatmeal with maple syrup, so I am unsure if that tastes good in the oatmeal or not.

No comments: